Friday, February 19, 2010

Passing loved ones

I've had two friends lose grandfathers this week. It's a difficult situation for me.

I am, of course, sorry that they lost loved ones, but I find it impossible to become truly sad at the passing. I was the same with the losses of my various grandparents. It's terrible to say, but grandparents are supposed to die: that's how life is.

God willing, the young learn about death by losing Grandma or Grandpa. That is the best possible scenario. After a full life, a loved one makes their final journey. We all have to someday. As it turns out, both of these friends recently had sons of their own. A pair of proud great-grandfathers died. I'm sorry they passed, but I'm not sad about it.

I know it's tough on my friends right now, but it's really a sign of how very fortunate we are that we've never become accustomed to death. Very few people are lucky enough to more or less escape it's impact until they near 30.

Later, I'll post the speech I gave at my grandma's funeral. I'm not cold about the losses of others and then a drama queen about the death of our family's matriarch. I miss her, but she lived a life to be envied. And what I said at her funeral basically stated as much.

My love, condolences, and friendship to my friends, but not my sadness. There's nothing to be sad about. May I live to see grandchildren walk down the aisle. Anything after that is all gravy.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: