Monday, February 8, 2010

New School

A gent in my company has been in petroleum, quite literally, longer than I’ve been alive. He’s argued to me that none of his experience prior to the last seven years even helps him any more. He has a point.

On a random day early this spring, he asked me if the market was up huge that day. I said no, only about two bucks. He paused, then muttered to himself about how the game has changed when someone can look at a $2 dollar jump in crude and not think of it as worth writing home about.

Prior to ten years ago, it would have been among the all-time biggest movement days. Prior to last year, it would have been quite a noteworthy day. Such days barely catch my eye any more. I’ve only been in petroleum 3.5 years, so I know crude moves of over $4 per barrel are amazing. Time alters perceptions, and the oil markets have fundamentally changed in the last 3 years.

Everyone needs to get their feet wet. My generation is doing so in a hurricane

No comments: